Well… This salted caramel cupcakes recipe doesn’t exactly fit the Pantry Fairy theme of simple cooking from your pantry, as it contains a few specialty ingredients. But you guys, it was too good NOT to share! And really, it isn’t too complicated.
These cupcakes would be a good fit if you are looking for something a little classier to indulge in for a special occasion.
Salted Caramel Cupcakes
yield: 12 cupcakes prep time: 30 minutes total time: 50 minutes (plus time to cool)
Moist brown sugar cupcakes, topped with a rich caramel frosting, finished with a light dusting of sea salt and a bite of chewy caramel. Decadently indulgent for the salted caramel fanatic.
Brown Sugar Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 egg, at room temp.
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Liquid caramel sauce, drizzled (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- 6 chewy caramel candies, cut in half (I used Werther’s soft chews)
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-count cupcake pan with liners or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Once melted, whisk in the brown sugar until there are no lumps.
- Using hand mixer, mix in egg, yogurt, milk and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until smooth. The batter will be thick.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
To make the salted caramel frosting:
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cream, brown sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts and comes to a low simmer.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Transfer mixture into the bowl of an electric stand mixer, with the whisk attachment.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar to the bowl and beat on medium-low until well combined.
- Add the remainder of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth, then increase speed to medium and beat for a full five minutes.
- Refrigerate frosting for 20-25 minutes (**Pro-tip – be sure frosting is cooled sufficiently; it will droop if used on cupcakes and is still warm**)
- Stir; frost cooled cupcakes.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce, sprinkle on sea salt, and top with a candy piece.
Enjoy! If you try them, let me know in the comments! I’d love to hear of your experience and see the pictures!
Join the newsletter
I want to save money by cooking more at home!