Having spent the majority of my childhood growing up in the Midwest, to me, biscuits and gravy are the epitome of classic breakfast comfort food. The rich, hearty gravy will warm your soul on the coldest of mornings.
I decided last weekend on a whim to make this as a brunch dish. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare from start to finish! As a public service announcement, there is no inherent healthy quality to this recipe. But I’m willing to take my chances occasionally to indulge in the nostalgia of my youth!
Biscuits and Gravy
yield: 9 biscuits prep time: 5 minutes total time: 15 minutes
To prepare Biscuits:
- 2 1/4 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2/3 cup of milk
- Heat oven to 450.
- Combine ingredients until soft dough forms.
- Spoon dough into 9 mounds on baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
To prepare Sausage Gravy:
- 12-oz roll of breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- Crumble and brown sausage over medium heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove cooked sausage to a separate bowl.
- Discard all but about 2 tbsp of the sausage drippings. Melt 2 tbsp butter with drippings.
- Over low heat, slowly whisk flour 1 tbsp at a time into the butter/dripping. Continue stirring until smooth and lumps are gone.
- Whisk in milk 1 cup at a time, stirring until smooth.
- Add cooked sausage back in, and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy! If you try this recipe, let me know in the comments! I’d love to see your photos!
Join the newsletter
I want to save money by cooking more at home!