Have you ever started thawing something for one dish, but the plans changed, or life happened, and somehow you didn’t get to it? That’s exactly what happened with this spinach. I had a thawed box of spinach sitting in the fridge that needed to be used, and pronto.
I was grilling up some chicken for dinner anyway, and decided that creamed spinach sounded good. I had never made it before, had only tried it in posh steakhouses for very special occasion dinners.
But Thursday night at home with the family – complete with homework, chores, baths, etc. – can be a special enough occasion, too? Right…? Ok, let’s do this!
The recipe is very simple, just using what I had on hand; the entire meal took less than 15 minutes to prep, cook, and get on the table. Bonus points on a weeknight, in my book!!
Savory Creamed Spinach
yield: 4 servings prep time: 2 minutes total time: 7 minutes
- 10 oz box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp milk or half and half
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add drained spinach, cream cheese and milk to a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir together gently, until cream cheese softens and is well blended.
- Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
Enjoy! If you try it, let me know! I’d love to hear of your spin on it and see pictures!