Brunch. The great American late Sunday morning pastime. Nothing says relaxation like a mimosa in one hand, and a spread of fabulous foods just waiting for you to dive into.
Coffee cake, among other types of light breads and cakes, is common to the brunch scene. But sometimes you just want to stay at home and relax, rather than making the effort to get ready and go out. Making this recipe is a breeze to do, so you can enjoy a leisurely morning at home with your coffee and a sweet something to nibble on.
I started with the recipe from the Joy of Cooking cookbook, and modified it slightly to suit what I had on hand. Plain nonfat Greek yogurt is a delightful substitute for the sour cream, and cuts the fat content down a bit without losing the flavor and moisture.
Quick Sour Cream Coffee Cake
yield: 12-16 servings prep time: 10 min bake time: 30-35 min
Start with all ingredients at room temperature:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- Softened butter to spread over batter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts work well)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×9 pan or a pie dish.
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat sour cream and eggs together well.
- Quickly fold dry ingredients in to the wet mixture; be careful not to overmix, or cake will be tough.
- Pour into prepared pan. Spread softened butter over the batter.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut together streusel ingredients: Sugar, flour and butter. Mix in cinnamon and nuts.
- Spread streusel evenly over the buttered batter. Pierce all over with a knife so that butter and streusel can sink into the batter while baking.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy! For additional recipes and baking tricks, the Joy of Cooking cookbook is a Pantry Fairy staple. If you try this recipe, be sure to let me know! I’d love to see your pictures.